This is an innovative approach that combines Lean with Theory of Constraints to quickly ramp up improvements. The new lean framework is a holistic improvement approach for healthcare that aims to increase hospital capacity using existing resources.
This system approach starts with the patient journey to get the most out of the patient flow in the path. The approach identifies critical areas in the patient journey where improvements will lead to enhanced system capacity.
The Holistic Improvement Approach
The new Lean approach was developed based on our 19 years’ experience with healthcare improvement. A comprehensive literature survey on this subject by our Consultant in his Post-doctorate research with the Oxford University.
The approach has been implemented in 4 different hospitals in Hong Kong with encouraging results. The methodology has received the First-Class Lean Management Award of 2015 China Association for Quality Technology.
With an integrated Lean framework, hospitals can deliver high levels of patient care in the most efficient, effective, and responsive manner possible, while synchronizing capacity with demand and maximizing hospital throughput.
- To further engagement of staff for their contributions in system-wide improvements.
- To extend the culture from workflow improvement to patient flow improvement.
- To enhance hospital capacity by rationalization of patient journey and optimization of patient flow.
- By enhancing capacity with existing resources to reduce staff stress and enhance morale.
- By streamlining patient flow to enhance service quality, patient safety and hence mitigating potential clinical risk.
- Current Major Challenge
- The New Lean Concept – Focus on Holistic Improvement
- Lean Transformation Process for Healthcare Services
- Evaluate the Current Situation
- Value stream map – current state
- Case Example – Reduce ED Waiting Time
- Blood Draw Case Study
- Initial Analysis
- Identifying Areas of Improvement
- Managing variations
- Simulation Games
- Case Study – Enhance MRI Capacity
- Theory of Constraints and Its Application to Healthcare
- Identify System Constraints
- Five Focus Steps
- Elevate System Constraints
- Simulation Game
- Case Example – Surgery Ward
- Eliminate Process Wastes
- Reduction of change over time (SMED)
- Modifying the Existing Process
- Mistake Proofing
- Substantiate and Enumerate Improvements
- Kanban System for Healthcare
- Case Example
- 5S for Healthcare
- Kaizen Events
- New Standard Work
- System improvement Examples
Lean implementation Examples
- Lean implementation in the Emergency Dept.
- Lean implementation in the Outpatient Dept.
- Lean implementation in Ward Units
- Lean implementation in the Surgery Dept.
- Lean implementation in the Intensive Care Unit
- Lean implementation in the Clinical Pathology Department
- Lean implementation in the Radiology Dept.
- Lean implementation in the Pharmaceutical Department
- Long Queuing Time for Patient Blood-taking in ACC
- Enhancement of Patient Journey
- The implementation of Pre-discharge Lounge
- Reduce Set-up Time for Total Knee Replacement Operation
- Enhance Patient Discharge Workflow in Department of Surgery
- Journey of Patients with Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding
- Streamline Pottering Service in AHNH Radiology
- Streamline Patient Flow in Patient Discharge Process in SH General Wards
- Improve Recovery Room Time
- Orthopedic Discharge Rounding
Who Should Attend
Clinical professionals, physicians, nurses, allied health professionals, Quality & Safety and other supporting professionals
Cantonese with English terminologies (with presentation slides in English)
10% off – payment 4-week in advance
15% off – 3 or above
Email [email protected]
Mode of Learning
Classroom lecture, discussions, group exercises, case studies